Your job is to examine the images below and answer the following questions. Make sure to base your judgments solely on the image and do not do conduct research to find the answer.
- Are you already familiar with this image? If so, do not comment further
- Do you think the images are “true” or “false”? In other words, are they "real" or "faked."
- What evidence do you have to support your conclusion?
Please identify each image as you post your answer.
You can click on each picture for a slightly larger view.
![]() |
1. Airline: This picture was allegedly taken by an individual aboard an
Air France flight which crashed over Brazil.
|
![]() |
| 2. Katrina: This is purportedly an image taken by a red light camera in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. The black square shows the speed of the vehicle as approximately 130 mph. |
![]() |
| Desert: This is an image of a indoor ski complex supposedly located in the Middle East in the middle of the desert. |



Image one:
ReplyDelete1. I am not familiar with this image.
2. I think this image is false.
3. I am basing this conclusion on the man in the back/center of the photo that is flying through the air. If this plane were in the air, I don't see how it could be missing a side and letting the man fall out. If the plane had already crashed, I could understand the plane missing a side. This also looks faked because he is the only person in the shot that is out of his seat.
Image two:
1.I am not familiar with this image.
2. I think this image is false.
3. The image of the car and black square of information at the top of the screen could have easily been added to the picture. The black box claims that the car is going over 130 mph, but the trees in the background of the image are hardly bending. If the wind was strong enough to carry a car through the air, I would expect the trees to fall over as well.
Image three:
1. I am not familiar with this image.
2. I think this image is false.
3. Within the image, the only thing I can find to prove this image is false is that "Nokia" is advertised in English near the ski lift. The thought of a ski resort in the middle of the desert seems unlikely though. The costs to keep temperatures cool and make snow would be tremendous.
Kelsi Rupersburg
Airline:
ReplyDelete1.No,I am not familiar with this image.
2.I think the image is faked.
3.A person who is being blown out of the airplane looks unreal. And the part which is supposedly "cut off" by the crash seems artificially smooth.
Katrina:
1.No,I am not familiar with this image.
2.I think the image is real.
3.I do not know how fast 130 mph is,but it seems like it would have been possible for the hurricane to throw the car in the air.
Dessert:
1.No,I am not familiar with this image.
2.I think the image is real.
3.Since there cannot be natural skiing slopes due to the weather in the Middle East,it is logical to think that there could be an indoor ski complex. Also I cannot find any flaws in the picture itself.
Soo Young Kim
Image 1:
ReplyDelete1.I am not familiar with this image.
2.False Image.
3.I think that the passengers in the front seats of the plane would be much more jolted if the complete back of the plane were completely ripped off. Also, it seems to me that if the plane were damaged so severely, it is unlikely that the camera and passengers would survive. I think the photo was edited.
Image 2:
1.I am not familiar with this image.
2.False Image.
3.The angle on the red light camera seems low. Also, the surrounding street does not have the standard street lines indicating a stoplight in with the camera would likely have shown.
Image 3:
1.I am not familiar with this image.
2.Real Image.
3.This Image is hard to decide about. It makes sense for the walls to be painted with fake landscaping in an indoor ski resort. The lighting in the upper left corner on the snow matches the pattern of the indoor light.
Victoria Secrist
Image 1:
ReplyDelete1.I am not familiar with this image.
2.Unlegit.
3.I think it's false because of the guy in the background. The caption says that the plane crashed, yet the picture shows sky in the background as the man flies out. These don't line up to me.
Image 2:
1.I am not familiar with this image.
2.Unlegit.
3.I agree with Kelsi. If the car is moving at 130 mph, the actual wind speed would have to be crazy, meaning the surrounding area should be moving as well. This is not the case. It would be easy to add the box and car into the picture.
Image 3:
1.I am not familiar with this image.
2.Legit.
3. This makes sense to me. There is nowhere in any of the Middle East where snow skiing would be possible, so it makes perfect sense to build an indoor ski complex. There is definitely the technology and the funds for this to happen.
Nick Condeni
Delete1. Airline: a.I am not familiar with this image
b.I believe this image is fake.
c. The reason I believe this image is fake is because of the warped view it has and also questioning the chances of someone taking a photo while a plane is crashing. The person lifted from their seat flying, I would think during a crash people would have their seats buckled. With this perception I believe it is fake.
2.Katrina
a. I am not familiar with this image.
b. I believe this photo to be real
c. I believe it is real because a hurricane of this magnitude can lift cars of this weight and throw them. My evidence is from seeing these images live on television and the car looks authentic with its background in the photo.
3.Desert
a. I am not familiar with this photo.
b. I believe this photo is real.
c. I believe it is real because I have heard their is a indoor ski resort in Saudi Arabia, I think Dubai. I have never seen this photo but I know this technology of indoor ski resorts is possible. This picture has pervasive elements like the people and th